Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Samsung PN50B860 About the buzzing.

This review is simply to clear up the "buzzing" some people are experiencing. I do not own this TV but in my line of work I see the 850 version everyday. So I can at least attest to the picture quality, & it is amazing. Both the 850 & 860 have the exact same specs and features except for two things. The 860 has the Cinema Smooth feature, which the 850 does not, as well as a cooling fan. This cooling fan is the buzzing many have been mentioning. The fan only kicks in when the TV begins to heat up extensively, which it will b/c of how thin it is. It will also heat up when the TV is at a high altitude. In general, plasma TVs are made to function at sea level. If the TV is taken to higher altitudes it will have to work harder to compensate for the decrease in pressure. Occasionaly, when you view bright images, intense action scenes, or play video games on it, you will hear the fan go off, even at sea level. At my work place I noticed that the 850 was heating up quite a bit and after discussing it with my coworkers, I realized it had to do with the thickness of the TV. We also looked at the 650 series, which is thicker but very similar to the 860 in specs, for comparison. I noticed that it did not heat up as much as the 850 when we ran the exact same blu-ray film on it. The 650s thicker frame allows it to release heat much better than the thin frame of the 850. Outside of any uniquie experiences of other individuals, I can confidently say that these are the primary reasons why the TV buzzes. In any case where the circumstances may contradict what I've said, then I suggest contacting Samsung for any other reason as to why it buzzes. They may just say "our products are designed to function a certain way and the buzzing is normall," and that's an answer you'll have to accept.

No comments:

Post a Comment